Eggcorn: "toffee"

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sun Dec 2 18:07:20 UTC 2007

In the Style section of today's New York Times, we read
this, about the English film director Guy Ritchie:

  About five or six rounds later, as Slash, the top-hatted lead
  guitarist of Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver, sauntered in,
  Mr. Ritchie was discussing how he now enjoyed "the toffee side
  of English life."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/fashion/02nite.html

I'm reasonably confident that Mr. Ritchie was actually
discussing how he enjoyed the _toff-y_ side of English life,
that is, the bit of or relating to toffs, or affectedly rich
or upper-class people.

Not in the Eggcorn Database and I doubt it belongs there, but
I figured I should point it out here.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED