The Broncks', the borough of my childhood, fades away

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 9 17:51:29 UTC 2007

Also Central Park West, North, and South, which are the portions of 8th
Ave., 110th St., and 59th St. that border the park on those sides.
Unaccountably, the corresponding portion of Fifth Ave. is not called
*Central Park East. ;-)

I don't think the North and South names get used much outside officialdom,
much as calling Sixth Avenue "Avenue of the Americas" marks you as an
out-of-towner. But Central Park West is Central Park West, not exclusively
but usually.

Mark, who grew up on 82nd St. less than half a block from CPW