"nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose Like" (1917))]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 10 02:34:42 UTC 2007

Under the right circumstances, it's still neutral. Baack in 'Fifties
Saint Louis, if someone did you some solid, you could put your arm
around his shoulders and say, "You('re) my nigger, [even] if [not "as
long as"] you don't get no bigger," as a way of saying "Thanks." It
didn't have any other particular meaning.

-Wilson

On Dec 9, 2007 12:02 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      "nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose Like"
>               (1917))]
>
> "Nayger" is a dial. remnant of 16th C. "Neger."
>
>   I once did a good deal of research on these forms. Some of the results are in HDAS. Some further upshots:
>
>   1. "Nigger" is not a variant pronunciation  (or "mispronunciation") of "Negro."
>
>   2. a. "Niger" (one "g") was until the early to mid 18th C. a mostly neutral term.
>       b. "Nigger" results from a leveling of both "Neger" and "Niger."
>
>   3. Runaway slave notices, slave auction ads, etc., which would not seem to require euphemisms, uniformly employ "Negro," as though "nigger" were inappropriate for polite use..
>
>   4. The earliest printed exx. of "nigger" as a term of white-against-black abuse are from the early 19th C.
>
>   JL
>
> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens