Freeman's antedate of "turn a blind eye"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 11 17:29:30 UTC 2007

>At 12/11/2007 10:53 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>Very nice.  I think we should compromise on a euphemistic replacement:
>>"the military is turning a visually impaired eye because..."
>
>Or should one call this a PC replacement?

PC upgrade?

>>As the saying goes, "In the land of the doubly visually-impaired, the
>>singly visually-impaired person is monarch".
>
>Are you about to redact H.G. Wells' title and story?

That's the one; essentially a superb early Twilight Zone episode.  Or
a bit earlier (as I'm sure the YBOQ points out), there was Erasmus:
"In regione caecorum rex est luscus."

LH