whoremaster/whore-master

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 14 18:11:10 UTC 2007

So far as I can tell the 1508 sense has never died out. The HDAS files contain exx. throughout most of the 20th C. and a few from the 19th.

  JL

Sarah Lang <slang at UCHICAGO.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Sarah Lang
Subject: Re: whoremaster/whore-master

Yes, I had read the entry, but I had never heard or seen it used in
that sense until the film--only in the 1864 sense. But interestingly,
the movie was set in Queens--within a blue-collar family--so
Turturro's use makes sense (I knew I should have asked him!).

But are there any modern or current bibliographic citations of that
sense? Has the 1508 sense never died out, or when and where did it
resurface?

S.