whoremaster/whore-master

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 15 00:37:28 UTC 2007

I took aa look at what the OEDOL has for "pimp, 1864":

a man who takes a proportion of the earnings of a prostitute, usually
in return for arranging clients, providing protection, etc.

I assume that the above is still essentially the standard definition.
However, the BE meaning strikes me as being far closer to what
present-day pimps do than the 1864 definition.

A definition of "pimp" as understood on the streets of black Los
Angeles since at least 1964 might be:

a man who takes the entirety of the earnings of a prostitute, usually
in return for not beating the living shit out of her.

-Wilson

On Dec 14, 2007 10:20 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: whoremaster/whore-master
>
> OED:
>
>    = whoremonger, 1508.
>
>   = procurer or pimp, 1864.
>

>   I've heard the term used in conversation probably less than a dozen times over the years, almost always from white, blue-collar speakers. Virtually every time the intended sense was clearly that of 1508.  The single exception I can recall was one of my high-school English teachers, who once used it in the 1864 sense.
>
>   Etymologically, "whoremonger" should also = "pimp," but OED finds no exx.
>
>   JL
>
> Sarah Lang <slang at UCHICAGO.EDU> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens