Eggcorn: *light sabre* > 'light saver'

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Sat Dec 22 18:31:44 UTC 2007

When I was at school I used to think that the swords of light in the *Star Wars*
films, light sabres, were actually called 'light savers'.  Google tells me I'm
not alone:  this afternoon a search on

"light saver" "star wars"

yields 1,410 ghits.  It strikes me now that this qualifies as an eggcorn:
there's the phonetic element in the similarity of the realisations, and the
semantic one in that (presumably, for a child) the weapon 'saves' light an
emits it as a beam when someone needs striking down.

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania