honcho > honcha

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Feb 1 14:29:24 UTC 2007

A bit more discussion on the topic. I find Charlie Doyle's response
interesting as it shows two different senses of "folk etymology." I
guess the first sense, the non-linguist sense, could also be called
"false etymology" like the false origin stories passed around about
"posh" and "tip" and "blackmail" (oh, that last one drives me nuts).

---Amy