honcho > honcha

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 1 15:06:07 UTC 2007

At 9:29 AM -0500 2/1/07, Amy West wrote:
>A bit more discussion on the topic. I find Charlie Doyle's response
>interesting as it shows two different senses of "folk etymology." I
>guess the first sense, the non-linguist sense, could also be called
>"false etymology" like the false origin stories passed around about
>"posh" and "tip" and "blackmail" (oh, that last one drives me nuts).
>
>---Amy

--and "picnic", which is even worse.  I agree, and I've suggested
(e.g. in my American Speech paper from 2004, "Spitten image:
Etymythology and Fluid Dynamics") distinguishing the the first
category as etymythologies (essentially etymological urban legends),
as opposed to first-order or folk/false etymologies, which involve a
(relatively) simple invention of transparency.

Larry Horn