"Inter Faeces..." Quote

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Feb 5 13:01:33 UTC 2007

Obliquely and ironically, to be sure, but it IS childbirth--one one level--that Yeats's Crazy Jane refers to! Well, maybe she doesn't have that point specifically "in mind" (she's crazy!), but the reader should.

Jane is teaching the prim and censorious Bishop a lesson in his religion: "Love" is not only Eros or eroticism but also Christ, who "pitched his mansion" on earth, assuming human form, issuing from a human mother, born in a lowly stable, then dwelling among the wretched and dirty of the world--all places of excrement . . . .

--Charlie