"Inter Faeces..." Quote

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Feb 5 20:44:17 UTC 2007

Doug raises excellent questions, most of which I can't respond to directely, not being that "somebody knowledgeable in Latin" whom he requests.  But I'll report what I know (or think I know):

First, somewhat earlier than the saying in Beroalde (c1616) that Doug quotes ("tu es ne entre la merde & le pissat") is this from Laurent Joubert's 2nd part of _Les Erreurs populaires_, the 1587 edition, in a list of Catalan aphorisms: "entre la merdo, & lou pis, se nourris lou bel fils." The modern translation renders that, "Between shit and piss is the handsome son being developed" (Gregory de Rocher, tr., _The Second Part of the Popular Errors_ [U of Alabama P, 1995], 164).

It's certainly quite possible that the saying "Inter faeces et urinam nascimur" arose later, then got retrofathered onto Augustine because it sounds kind of pithy and patristical, and he's everyone's favorite Church Father. I'm pretty sure, though, that Augustine himself did NOT say it in any of his extant works.

As for the Latin noun "f(a)ex": Forms of the word, which at some point must have been a euphemism, appear hundreds of times in the Patrologia, mostly (it seems) in reference to excrement.  "Stercus" and "fimus" abound too (it IS, after all, a favorite subject!). "Excrementa," I believe, is less common, "merda" nonexistent.

In one place we find "in faeces et stercora"--excremental overkill! As there, the old Catholic guys regularly gave "faeces" for the accusative plural.

--Charlie