diamond geezers

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Tue Feb 13 16:37:25 UTC 2007

Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: diamond geezers

Sadly, while my scriptwriting friend replied, he had nothing useful to
say. He didn't write the episode, doesn't like the actor and had thus
eschewed the film. Sorry.

> So we're still waiting for someone who's seen it?  And would this
> "Diamond Geezer" be a good guy, a good fella, or just an ordinary
> career criminal?  :-)

The 'Only Fools and Horses' character was an unashamed homage to every
'cheeky Cockney sparrer'  cliche in the book. (Even if he did come from
'Sarf' London.) The odds therefore are that this was be more of the
same, given, as I say, that 'diamond geezer' was probably a pun on the
'top bloke' meaning plus a scam involving diamonds.

> And perhaps it was "Smiff" and not "Smwifth" -- my aging ears
> are not accurate, and I was half -listening -- but I think I heard a
> "w", if not "fth".  Anyone who wants to check is welcome to find a
> video of the episode, "A Tale of Two Hamlets".  They don't have to
> watch very long -- Smiff comes to an early end.
I'm sure you're right. Smi-w-f (or something on those semi-pronounceable
lines) as East End 'Smith' is much more accurate.

JG