"Heavens to Murgatroyd"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 17 14:19:51 UTC 2007

One of the most beloved phrases of modern times (in my eccentric mind, at
least) is "Heavens to Murgatroyd."  The Yale Book of Quotations seems to
be the only historical dictionary including it, but the YBQ merely notes
that it was a catchphrase of Snagglepuss the Lion on the Yogi Bear Show.

A web site ascribes the origin to actor Bert Lahr: "The character's
best-remembered catch-phrase ("Heavens to Murgatroyd") was also from Lahr, who
used it in Meet the People (1944), where he played a supporting role under
stars Dick Powell and Lucille Ball."  I have not confirmed this
information.

Can anyone provide any other early evidence for "Heavens to Murgatroyd"?

Fred Shapiro