Boy, Hidy (Boy, Howdy) (1918--WWI slang?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 23 05:33:59 UTC 2007

CREEK DON"T RISE:
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/if_the_good_lords_willin_and_
the_creeks_dont_rise/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/if_the_good_lords_willin_and_the_creeks_dont_rise/)
Does anyone (Lighter?) have "boy, hidy" or "boy, howdy"? Texas seems to  have
claimed it.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/boy_hidy_or_boy_howdy/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/boy_hidy_or_boy_howdy/)

“Boy, Hidy!” (or “Boy, Howdy!")

"Boy, hidy!” (or “Boy, howdy!") is now regarded as usually a Texas
expression. “Boy, howdy!” was popular in 1918, during World War I. The origin or  the
phrase is unknown. “Boy, hidy!” is a combination of “boy!” and “howdy!”
and  means something like “wow!” or “gosh yes!” or “gee whiz!”

_Urban  Dictionary_
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boy+howdy)
boy howdy
General expression/interjection, similar  in usage to “wow,” “oh, man,” or “
yep”.
“Did the colonoscopy hurt at  all?” --"Boy howdy!”
by Swid Sep 9, 2002

boy howdy
Southern slang. An interjection. Often used as an expression of surprise for
large quantities of something, or severity of something. See yessum.
“Boy  howdy! Them pumpkins sure are big! How’re we gonna carry ‘em all, Ms.
McGregor?”
by Fugerko.? Dec 23, 2003

_Never  ask a man if he is from Texas_
(http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:GPy2Ohblw2gJ:www.sga.seagrant.org/word/sgw_reception_skit.doc+"boy+hidy"&hl=en&
ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&ie=UTF-8)
Boy Hidy — An affirmation.
Jim:  “This little skit sure stinks.”
Terry: “Boy hidy.”

_Favourite  Word_
(http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/voda-lounge-chit-chat/9204-favourite-word.html)
07-08-2006, 04:54 AM
“Boy Hidy” I think I picked that up when I  use to live in Texas. People
look at me really strange.

_Amazon  Seller Community_
(http://www.amazonsellercommunity.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=1129514&#1129514)
U R A Texan if
(...)
And speaking of gravy, the local Chicken Express advertises they  have real
Dublin Dr. Pepper.  You’re a Texan if you know that means it’s  made in
Dublin, Texas with real pure cane sugar, and boy hidy, that is so good  it will make
a rabbit slap a bear!

_ReadLarryPowell.com_
(http://readlarrypowell.typepad.com/read_larry_powell/2005/12/showers_and_kay.html)
It is December 27, 2005, and, as the year draws to a close, boy, is it dry.

Or, should that be “boy, hidy”? Sometimes one loses the grip on one’s
native slang.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0312151217&id=QAPi0EaJo4wC&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&ots=xw3pdXPCBO&dq="boy+howdy"&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig=hzQcRhBBx
3IkDZXMN95hFgzNEPg)
Country Music: the encyclopedia
by Irwin and Grelun  Landon
New York: St. Martin’s Press
1969, 1982, 1984, 1997 copyrights
Pg. 42:
For most of its development period, the band (Boy Howdy—ed.) had  the name
that eventually graced its recording successes. Larry Park commented,  “To us
our name’s like a celebration of country music. Boy Howdy—in the old  Western
movies you’d see somebody riding off on a horse and they’d say, ‘Boy,  howdy,
did you see that guy shoot that gun?’ That kind of thing. It’s a very
western expression.”

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0879320699&id=OakPAAAAMAAJ&q="boy+hidy"&dq="boy+hidy"&ie=ISO-8859-1&pgis=1)
Academy All the Way
by Grover Lewis
New York: Simon  and Schuster
1974
Pg. 136:
“Boy hidy, that guy’s weird, you  know it?”
Pg. 184:
Boy hidy, lemme tell you, I’m a hunnerd percent  behind him on that.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN087565004X&id=rb4eAAAAMAAJ&q="boy+hidy"&dq="boy+hidy"&ie=ISO-8859-1&pgis=1)
Warning: Writer at Work
The Best Collectibles of  Larry L. King
by Larry L. King
Fort Worth: Texas Christian  University Press
1985
Pg. 195:
“Boy Hidy, if that chocolate-coated  sumbitch don’t stay in his place...”

13 May 1902, Uhrichsville  (OH) News-Democrat,” “HOWDY” (poem), pg. 6, col.
1:
Man that  sez it’s good enuff --
“Ol’ boy, howdy!”
(...)
-- Charles W.  Stevenson, in Lippincott’s Magazine.

27 July 1918, Bridgeport (CT)  Telegram, pg. 5 ad (for wash suits):
Boy, Howdy!

5  August 1918, Lake County Times (Hammond, IN), “Boy Scouts Have Whale of a
Time at Camp Near Lowell” by Lawrence Harris, pg. 1, col. 2:
Boy Howdy! It  is some camp.

16 January 1921, Galveston (TX) Daily News, “The  Mark of Zorro” ad, pg. 2,
col. 2:
Boy, Howdy! If you want to see something  snappy, exciting, romantic, full of
tense action, bubbling over with romance,  chivalry and glamour, with thrills
running neck and neck even fore the terrific  climax—you want to see this
one.

17 September 1921, Oakland (CA)  Tribune, “Chips Off the Old Block” by
Robert Quillen, pg. 10, col. 1:
Another evil effect of the war is that expression, “Boy, howdy,”

http://www.aol.com.