"The Horse You Rode In On"

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 26 18:19:29 UTC 2007

This is true. I have found Google Books to be highly valuable for antedating
regional words/phrases, but not so much with slang. Definitely not enough
vulgarity in 19th century literature for my taste.
Scot

>From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: "The Horse You Rode In On"
>Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:13:41 -0800

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: "The Horse You Rode In On"
>
>May I be pardoned for saying, with the grim satisfaction of the weary and a
>   / sup'soN / (damned cedillas) of insufferable pride, that searches of
>Google, Google Books, and Google Groups don't often turn up antedatings of
>current HDAS entries.
>
>   That's not to discourage anybody from looking.
>
>   Instead, it's a flagrantly self-serving reminder that HDAS I and II
>contain virtually no computer-found citations (though Jesse did add a few
>to Vol. II).
>
>   JL
>

>"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>-----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
>Subject: Re: "The Horse You Rode In On"
>
>This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text,
>while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>
>--0-1303398631-1172446354=:68327
>
>Scot LaFaive wrote:
> >>>

>I did a search of Google Books and Google for antedates but couldn't find=
>=20
>any. I did find two interesting notes on the phrase. For one, it seems
>that=
>=20
>the phrase "fuck/screw you and the horse you rode in on" is often clipped
>t=
>o=20
>"and the horse you rode in on," allowing for it to be used in proper=20
>company. I also found this variation: "Fuck your self-sufficiency and the=
>=20
>horse you rode in on." I found it interesting because I'm not sure I've=20
>heard heard or seen it without the object of "fuck" being a person, and=20
>especially not an abstract noun.
>
><<<
>
>A Google search for "horse it rode in on" turns up "about 610" hits. Many
>o=
>f=20
>them have no verb, or leave it implicit ("I have the same feeling about=20
>gauge (and the horse it rode in on)!"), but 17 of the first 50 have
>"fuck",=
>=20
>"screw", or an equivalent graphic bleep (what should we call those?=20
>euphemisms? eugraphisms?). Many of the antecedents are more-or-less
>concret=
>e=20
>("ribbing" in the knitting sense; "the world"; "the nuke navy"; "XML").
>But=
>=20
> [...]

Don’t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft®