Help Needed Please

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Tue Feb 27 15:32:18 UTC 2007

Lynne,

I'm right with you, and I know that it's the policy on other academic
lists that I've been on to not respond to such queries unless there's
evidence that the student has really hit a wall in terms of
bibliographic searching. I wasn't sure what the ADS-L policy was, so
I held my tongue. Certainly, I would not encourage my  Comp. students
to post to such an academic list as an early research strategy. I
would encourage them to search the archives, sure; if they hit a
wall, I'd either forward the query myself or check to see if it was
all right with the list managers/owners if they posted. It may be
that ADS-L simply has a laissez-faire attitude, letting subscribers
decide for themselves to help out such research queries or not.

---Amy West