"Ice cream" from 1735?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 2 14:02:18 UTC 2007

One can't. Or I can't.

  JL

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
Subject: "Ice cream" from 1735?

Google Books, at
http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC10203011&id=X1IDAAAAMAAJ&q=%22ice+cream%22++gentleman's+magazine&dq=%22ice+cream%22++gentleman's+magazine&pgis=1,
returns a quotation for "ice cream" from London Magazine: Or,
Gentleman's Monthly Intelligencer, page 367, and describes it as
"Published 1735".

Do I remember correctly that Google Books tells us the date the
journal was first published, so that this may not be an antedating of
OED2's 1744? (The illustration of the cover page is "Vol. XIV"; I am
not able quickly to say what year that may be.)

How does one determine what issue the Google Books hit is from?

Joel

http://mail.yahoo.com