Another WOTY Candidate ("telenovela")

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Jan 3 17:40:27 UTC 2007

I just happen to have been reading the (beautiful) first story in the collection _An Island Like You_, by my friend and colleague Judith Ortiz Cofer, published in 1995.  In that story, "Bad Influence," the word "telenovela" occurs several times.  The word is used in connection with the young protagonist's Puerto Rican grandmother--but the story is definitely written in English!  I assume the word is on loan from Spanish?  It appears to have been in use for a while by English-speaking Americans.

--Charlie