"Plutoed" Voted 2006 Word of the Year

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Jan 9 18:02:42 UTC 2007

Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
> CNN coverage:
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/07/word.of.the.year/

Today, The Register entitles their regular roundup of commented letters
to the editor "Readers pluto petulant Parisians", with the subtitle
"(The) hoi polloi strikes back" (note the singular)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/letters/>. This follows
yesterday's report on the ADS WOTY in
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/08/word_of_the_year/>.

On page 2, there is a letter by an unconvinced reader, Paul Renault:

====
"Plutoed"...? It's a good thing that the American Dialect Society
announced this, and that everyone's reporting it, 'cuz I must be out of
the loop. The first time I ever heard the word was when the CBC reported
the story this morning. Maybe the people I hang around with don't think
they're being clever by verbing nouns without a hint of irony.

Why isn't "Wordinistas" the word of the year, eh?
====

I think he has a point about "wordanistas", but that would have been
rather self-referential. Or even omphaloskeptic. On the other hand, his
irony meter may be slightly off.

Chris Waigl