"fur bikini"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Jan 10 13:40:56 UTC 2007

More consonant with Wilson esthetic sensibility, "unikini" does enjoy 12,100 Google hits--in comparison with 239,000 for "monokini."

Of course, as Larry noted, the perceived morpheme "bi-" in "bikini" results from reanalysis or playful false-etymologizing. It's not as if a word "kini" exists that ought to call for either a Greek or Latin prefix!

But what IS the etymology of "bikini"?  I would suppose the infamous atoll's name is Polynesian (meaning what, if anything, I wonder?). The English dictionaries report that the word came from the French--presumably the word as a common noun, a fashion term, rather than a place name. OED includes what's probably a nonce usage--or a metaphor--from 1947, in the sense of "a large explosion."

--Charlie