Wisconsin dialect

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Mon Jan 15 21:18:44 UTC 2007

Thanks for the plug, Dennis! I go away from email for an hour and end
up missing a mini-thread.

I've responded to Scot off-list, but in case others might be
interested in the topic: We've got a whole group working on Wisconsin
English, and we have a website for some of that work: http://
csumc.wisc.edu/wep/.

For lexical material, Luanne von Schneidemesser from DARE is working
on a book with Julie Plier. For sounds, Tom Purnell (also in Madison
and also an ADS member), Erica Benson at UW-Eau Claire  and I have
papers out and coming out (including a brand new paper in Language
Variation and Change; also Tom is lead author on a paper soon to be
out on the historical roots of NCS in southeastern Wisconsin, with
acoustic analysis of old recordings.) Erica has got a really cool
project on perceptual dialectology going and she and her students
have given great papers including on cot/caught merger in the Eau
Claire area.

In the public sphere, Tom created a set of podcasts on Wisconsin
English last year, with more planned for the spring. (They're linked
on the project page.) There's also a blog that deals with language in
the Upper Midwest quite often:  Mr Verb, http://mr-
verb.blogspot.com/. He's just added some contributors, so discussion
should increase, and I know that he welcomes comments.

Joe

On Jan 15, 2007, at 2:10 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Wisconsin dialect
> ---------
>
> Scot,
>
> You would be remiss not to get in touch with ADS members Joe Salmons
> (Univ of WI Madison) and Erica Benson (U of Wis Eau Claire) who are
> at work on projects which overlap considerably your intentions.
> Please get in touch with them before you go on.
>
> dInIs

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Wisconsin dialect
>> ----------
>>
>> Lately I've been toying with the idea of making a site devoted to
>> documenting the Wisconsin English dialect, especially vocabulary
>> but also
>> some sound patterns. Maybe not especially groundbreaking, but fun
>> to do and
>> worth having. Anyway, I'm starting my research into Wisconisn
>> English and
>> wondering if anyone has any websites, articles, etc that they
>> think would
>> benefit me. If you know of any, please let me know. Gracias.
>> Scot

Director
Center for the Study of Upper Midwestern Cultures
901 University Bay Drive
University of Wisconsin
Madison, WI 53705
http://csumc.wisc.edu/