reliable name origins guide?

Nathan Bierma nbierm65 at CALVIN.EDU
Tue Jan 16 01:05:26 UTC 2007

There's no shortage of books and websites for baby names, but what's reliable?

I got this question from a reader about a possible relation between the names
'Esther' and 'Theresa.' None of the baby-name books and sites I've checked
suggest any connection, but I don't know what or whom to quote authoritatively.
(Looks like OED has etymologies on a few of the most common names, but not
these.)

> I am doing genealogy.  Another member of my family thinks that
Therese/Theresa, etc. is an anglicized version of Esther.  I have looked
in the dictionary (my only reference book at home) and to me that does not
appear
>to be the case as they appear to have different roots. Could you and would
you shed some light on this for me or direct me to a good basic source book?

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan Bierma
"On Language"