"fairy," OED 4a

Thu Jan 18 15:12:47 UTC 2007

 Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

 But by saying he is "of faerie," couldn't that also mean he was of the
faerie people or of the faerie, using faerie as a race or type of creature
and not a place name? I haven't read the original, I just found that to be
one possible reading based on this very small quote.
 <<<

"Of X" was in use at that time with place names--

        And Frenssh she spak ful faire and fetisly,
125     After the scole of Stratford-atte-Bowe,
        For Frenssh of Parys was to hir unknowe.
                -- Canterbury Tales, General Prologue (the Prioress)

also
        St. Denis of France
                -- Canterbury Tales, Shipman's Tale

As far as I know it was not used with racial names. Certainly anyone who
knows better can correct me.

 m a m