The TV judges

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 20:45:44 UTC 2007

Heard on the Judge Joe Brown show:

The speaker is a 25-or-so-year-old black male:

"It didn't feel much like home, the way she _stayed_ snatching the key
back from me."

This is a new one on me. I would have expected "kept (on)" or "was always."

On the Peoples Court, there was a forty-ish white male who spoke an
ordinary r-ful Southern dialect, except that he pronounced /ai/ as
[oi] in all environments. He mentioned that he lived in Raleigh
County. Unfortunately, no town or state was mentioned. He was suing a
former friend - they were even members of the same church - but the
friend used the ordinary Southern pronunciation of /ai/ that's usually
spelled "ah" in eye-dialect.

-Wilson
-----
-Sam'l Clemens