Beggar's slang, 1907

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 24 22:05:40 UTC 2007

Needless to say, the "stranded-student" game is still being run.
According to an interview with a professional beggar published in a
local alternative newspaper, the game is pretty straightforward. The
beggar, hanging out in Harvard Square dressed in jacket and tie,
braces a likely chump and explains that he is a student from out of
town come to be interviewed for admission to the World's Greatest
University. Unfortunately, as a hick from the sticks, he failed to
lock the door to his dorm room and awakened to find that he had been
robbed of all his money. So, would the nice passer-by be willing to
contribute to the cost of a train ticket back to Providence, RI?

The beggar noted that the game once worked too well. Instead of
contributing to the price of a ticket, the chump insisted upon cabbing
the beggar to the train station in Boston, where he bought the beggar
a ticket to Providence and kept him company on the train till it began
to pull out of the station. As a consequence, the beggar not only got
no money, but he also had to use his own funds to get back to Boston
from Providence.

-Wilson

On 1/24/07, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
> Subject:      Beggar's slang, 1907
>
> Those who do not delight in long posts on obsolete slang should delete
> this message.
>
> Now that they are gone, the rest of us can kick back and have some fun.
>
> I was looking in Proquest's NYTimes last week for my old college buddy
> Frisco Slim, and came up with the following report from 1907.  It
> includes the following words which are either antedatings or words not
> otherwise recorded in the sense here: bracer, bug, cow, fagin,
> flopper, high-heel game
> and wheezer; also of some interest are beat, jocker and yegg.
> I have added the paragraph numbers.
>
>         PEST of BEGGARS LOOSED on THE TOWN; Professional Mendicants,
> With
> Made=up Disfigurements, Return to Prey on City's Charity.  Fagin's
> Nests
> Filled Again With "Yeggs," "Crust=Throwers" and "Floppers"
> [headline]
> 1)      New York is once more at the mercy of hordes of professional
> beggars.
>  ***
> 2)      On Feb. 5 last Police Commissioner Bingham abolished the
> mendicancy
> police detailed to detect and arrest such offenders.  The skilful
> "bracer" and the Fagins, with their youthful dupes, flocked back to the
> metropolis.  Last week a half a dozen notorious "yegg" men were seen in
> their old haunts.  All of them, like Fagin, train boys and girls to beg
> on the streets, after being disfigured with "bregs" [sic] or prepared
> for the "high heel game."  The "yegg" men and mendicants lack
> organization, in that each plies his begging tricks for himself, but
> they have "nests" and resorts where they gathered last week to exchange
> the news and enjoy the favor of their influential "friends."  At these
> meeting they decided on the section of the city to be covered by each
> on
> the following day, or on trips to suburbs like Newark or Montclair.
> Thus, while the city was not laid out into "beats," the plans of each
> did not conflict with the routes of the others.
> 3)      ***  The system existing among the "yegg" men and other
> professional
> beggars, the very existence of their resorts and their "improved" trick
> depend almost entirely on the American vagrants.  The professional
> beggars from Europe keep to themselves and do not co-operate.
> 4)      Because the American "yegg" men and humbler mendicant[s] spend
> their
> money as fast as they get it, men and women who are friendly with them
> or belong to their class find it profitable to keep "nests" and dives
> for their benefit.  These resorts make co-operation possible.  Three of
> these "nests" have been uncovered.  One was in Hamilton Street, in the
> [...]

-----
-Sam'l Clemens