FYI: More N-Word Bannings (Ebony magazine; Brazoria, TX)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 25 02:09:04 UTC 2007

_http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10836578/detail.html_
(http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10836578/detail.html)
Town Proposes N-Word Ban

A Texas town is considering outlawing the N-word.
Under a proposal, anyone caught using the word in Brazoria, Texas, would  be
subject to a fine.
"This is a melting pot, this country is,” Brazoria Mayor Ken Corley said.  “
There is no room for any racial slurs."

Corley said banning the word is a quality of life issue.
"When you're in town and you're riding around and somebody pulls up next  to
you and they have their radio on and they have some gangsta rap, I don't want
my children or my grandchildren, I don't want anybody in this town to be
subject  to that language," he said.
_http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=7250439f-d829-4aa8-b4f3-
1cb0a3344d5b_
(http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=7250439f-d829-4aa8-b4f3-1cb0a3344d5b)

Texas Town May Outlaw "N" Word
Last Update: 1/24/2007 5:46:12 PM
A Texas town is considering a law that would outlaw the "N" word.
Under the proposal, anyone caught saying the slur in Brazoria, Texas could
receive a fine up to $500.
The town is the home of the "No Name" festival, and if the town's mayor has
his way, no "N" word either.
"This is a melting pot -- this country is, OK? There is no room for any
racial slurs, whatever."
Mayor Ken Corley is getting plenty of feedback on his proposed city ordinance
 to ban the racial slur. He says it's a quality of life issue
"When you're in town and you're riding around, and somebody pulls up next to
you, and they have their radio on, and they have some gangsta rap. I don't
want  my children or my grandchildren -- I don't want anybody in this town -- to
be  subject to that language," said Corley.
The idea is drawing mixed reviews from Corley's constituents.
"I think it's a pretty good idea, you know. I don't hear it that much," said
one man.
"How can they enforce it?" asked one woman. She added, "I don't see why a law
 like this would be necessary."
"I applaud him for what's he's doing," said Bishop Ricky Jones of Brazoria's
Living Word Fellowship and Christian Center.
Jones said the word carries such a history of bigotry and hate, even when
used within the black community.
"It's time for we, as African-Americans, to go to the next level and
demonstrate that we do have self respect for ourselves," added Jones. "And, I  think
if we show self-respect for ourselves, the rest of the world is going to  do
the same."
_http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=10694_
(http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=10694)

EBONY BANS THE ‘N’ WORD

The Johnson Publishing Company, publishers of African  American magazines
Ebony and Jet, have announced that they are to ban the use of  the ‘N’ word in it
’s publications
In an editorial in the February issue of Ebony magazine, vice president and
editorial director Bryan Monroe said that the word symbolized centuries of  “
pain, evil, and contempt”. The editorial suggests that the common use of the
word among some black people and in the rap music industry results from people
being desensitised to the word’s historical meaning.
Published: 24 January  2007