Q: "by will and doom" (1672)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Jan 26 22:14:28 UTC 2007

        My guess is that it refers to the decision and judgment of the
collector.  Here's what Black's Law Dictionary says about "doom":

doom, n. Hist. 1. A statute or law. 2. A judgment; esp., a sentence in a
criminal matter. 3. Justice; fairness. 4. A trial; the process of
adjudicating.
"The word 'doom' is, perhaps, best translated as 'judgment.' It survived
in occasional use until the fourteenth century. Wyclif's translation of
the Bible, rendering the verse, 'For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged,' as 'For in what dome ye demen, ye schuln be demed.'
The distinction which we make to-day between the legislator, who makes
the law, and the judge, who interprets, declares and applies it, was not
known to our Anglo-Saxon ancestors. The dooms were judgments in the
sense that they were declarations of the law of the people." W.J.V.
Windeyer, Lectures on Legal History 1 (2d ed. 1949).

        A reference to this judgment as a "doom" would have been archaic
in the 17th century.  "Will and doom" strikes me as a bit too obscure to
deserve its own entry in the OED.

John Baker