Q: "by will and doom" (1672)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jan 26 22:39:58 UTC 2007

Aha, and thanks.  I take the sense, then, as "by choice and
judgement/decision" of the collector.

As to obscurity, I think I will send it to the OED anyway, and let
the 17th century experts winnow it in or out.  (It must exist
somewhere else, but I have not yet had a chance to round up the usual
suspects ... I mean, databases.)

Joel