Weiner or Hamburger Schnitzel (1868)

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Wed Jul 4 19:29:20 UTC 2007

Wilson Gray wrote:
> According to Wikipedia, as cited by Barry, the Schnitzel Holsteiner
> Art is breaded, whereas the Hamburger schnitzel is not. "Breaded"
> corresponds to the Holsteiner schnitzel as I've experienced it both in
> Germany and in the States. I'm not familiar with the Hamburger
> schnitzel.

[Is the misspelling "Weiner" for "Wiener" that old?]

In my version of German:

- Schnitzel: veal or pork, no bone, always breaded EXCEPT if it's one of
the subtypes that comes with a sauce (Jägerschnitzel, Zigeunerschnitzel
[sic]). Chicken needs extra declaration ("Hühnerschnitzel"), just like
vegetarian varieties.
- Kotelett: veal or porc, with bone, can be breaded or not
- Steak: unbreaded; beef, veal, pork (or horse...), if it's not a Kotelett.

According to Wikipedia, Holsteiner Schnitzel derives its name from a
person, not the region (to which the English Wikipedia links the name).
Hamburger Schnitzel is unknown to me and to the German Wikipedia.

Chris Waigl