Vitamin G (grease); Chicken Fried Bacon

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 5 14:07:45 UTC 2007

Nothing "Vitamin G," but for a number of years I've been using "Vitamin C" for caffeine.
  I believe I invented this, but am probably one of many.

  JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Vitamin G (grease); Chicken Fried Bacon

Does the next HDAS have anything for "Vitamin G" (grease)?
"Vitamin G" is often used in stories about this Texas original dish--chicke=
n=20
fried bacon. Don't ask--just watch the video on YouTube.
=20
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/chicken_fried_bacon/_=20
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/chicken_fried_bacon/)=20

=20
Entry from July 04, 2007=20
Chicken Fried Bacon
=20
Texas is known for _chicken fried steak,_=20
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/chicken_fried_steak_cfs/) =20=
but chicken fried bacon? Why not?=20

The dish (served with cream gravy) was created in the 1990s by Frank Sodola=
k=20
and is served at Sodolak=E2=80=99s Original Country Inn in Snook, near Coll=
ege=20
Station.=20

_YouTube_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZfbTO0GlONU) =20
Chicken Fried Bacon=20

_South Coast Today (1-16-99)_=20
(http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/01-99/01-16-99/a05op025.htm) =20
Would you like double grease with that? =20

SNOOK, Texas=20
Occasionally throughout history, a visionary comes along who should be=20
honored for his Herculean efforts in swimming upstream against the tide of=20
political correctness.=20

Such a man is Frank Sodolak, who is pretty darned sure he invented=20
chicken-fried bacon.=20

=E2=80=9CI ain=E2=80=99t never heard of it anywhere else,=E2=80=9D Sodolak=20=
said.=20

Sodolak, owner of Sodolak=E2=80=99s Original Country Inn in this small town=
=20
(population 489) about 13 miles southwest of College Station=E2=80=94that=
=E2=80=99s about 100 miles=20
northeast of Austin=E2=80=94serves the breaded and deep-fried bacon as one=20=
of his=20
appetizers. For that totally brown meal, he says some people order it as an=
=20
appetizer to go with their chicken-fried steak.=20

=E2=80=9CYou never know what they=E2=80=99re going to order,=E2=80=9D Sodol=
ak said. He concocted=20
the high-in-vitamin-G (grease) food item eight or 10 years ago.=20

=E2=80=9CI had some bacon one time, and I was just fooling around to see wh=
at would=20
happen,=E2=80=9D he explained.=20

I=E2=80=99m sure Dr. Frankenstein said about the same thing when he created=
the=20
monster.=20

Sodolak makes his chicken-fried bacon by double-dipping uncooked bacon=20
strips in milk and flour. Then he tosses the breaded strips in a Fryolator=20=
and=20
nukes them in animal/vegetable oil for three or four minutes.=20

For that final touch, the chicken-fried bacon is served with a bowl of crea=
m=20
gravy.=20
(...) =20
John Kelso writes for the Austin American-Statesman.=20

_Maroon Weekly_ (http://www.maroonweekly.com/ArticleDetail.aspx?Id=3D229) =20
Chicken Fried =E2=80=A6 Bacon?:=20
Venture to Sodolak=E2=80=99s Country Inn for great country dining=20
By: Justin Vaughn / Maroon Weekly=20
Issue Number: 83=20
Publish Date: 05/31/2007=20
(...)=20
Chicken fried bacon is exactly what it sounds like: extra-long strips of=20
bacon, coated and fried like chicken, and served with a side of thick cream=
=20
gravy. The taste is rather subtle =E2=80=94 a more peppery bacon would pro=
bably work out=20
wonderfully =E2=80=94 and the strips are surprisingly light on your stomach=
.=20

_RecipeZaar_ (http://www.recipezaar.com/156010) =20
Chicken Fried Bacon W/Cream Gravy=20
Recipe #156010=20
Bacon - it=E2=80=99s the ice cream of the meat world, high in Vitamin-G (gr=
ease) and=20
bound to make the food police crazy! This side of fat douple-dipped in fat=20
then fried in fat & served with a side of fat (cream gravy) recipe comes fr=
om=20
Sodolak=E2=80=99s Original Country Inn restaurant in Snook, Texas. Cream gr=
avy is my=20
own recipe. I do not admit to ever making fried bacon so prep time is a=20
guesstimate=20
by 4Susan=20
6 servings=20
30 min prep=20
Change to: servings US Metric=20

Fried Bacon =20
1 lb thick sliced bacon, cut in half=20
1 egg=20
1/2 cup milk (or cream or half & half)=20
1/2 cup flour=20
spices (optional)=20
oil (for frying) =20

Cream Gravy=20
3 tablespoons drippings or butter=20
3 tablespoons flour=20
2 cups milk=20
2 tablespoons heavy cream (whipping) =20
salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper=20

Heat oil in a frying pan over med-high heat.=20
Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl.=20
Place flour in another bowl - season it if you=E2=80=99d like (garlic, pepp=
er, salt,=20
lemon, cajun, etc.).=20
Double dip - first in the egg mixture, then into the flour and repeat.=20
Fry in oil until golden brown.=20
Serve with cream gravy for dipping; also good served with steak.=20

To make cream gravy:.=20
Put drippings or butter in a sauce pan over med-high heat. Whisk in the=20
flour until well blended; cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until b=
ubbly.=20
Remove from heat and gradually add milk whisking constantly; return to heat=
=20
& whisk until the gravy thickens; Whisk in the cream, salt & pepper.=20

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com=
.