Texas Toast (1957); Swinging a dead cat in Austin, Texas

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 5 23:40:06 UTC 2007

TEXAS TOAST
NewspaperArchive has been digitizing a lot of Texas newspapers, but I
couldn't do a whole lot better on "Texas toast."
23 February 1957, Waco (TX) News-Tribune, pg. 13, col. 8 ad:
Our own Texas Toast, coffee with pure cream and famous old fashioned
strawberry shortcake topped with delicious whipped cream.
(...)
THE HICKORY STICK
2300 No. 18th
18 November 1957, Abilene (TX) Reporter-News, pg. 2A, col. 1 ad:
Definite opening and closing hours have not been decided upon yet, but are
serving three meals per day, beginning with breakfast featuring those wonderful
 MACK EPLEN hot cakes and waffles, served with LOG CABIN syrup, hot biscuits
and  Texas style toast made from thick sliced white, butter bread, baked fresh
daily  in our own bake shop.
SWINGING A DEAD CAT IN AUSTIN, TEXAS
In the Austin American-Statesman today (360 or XL section), it's said  that
"you can't swing a dead cat in Austin without hitting a musician."
Upon further review, it appears that a lot of people are swinging dead cats
in Austin, Texas. Any earlier for this and the general "swing a dead cat"
phrase  (I'd covered it previously) will be appreciated.
_Guitar art from the heart_
(http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/xl/2007/07/0705xlcover.html)
Austin 360 (subscription), TX -  <NOBR>Jul 3,
By Shermakaye Bass There's a saying in this  town: You can't swing a dead cat
without hitting a musician. Now add  giant guitars. Ten-foot tall Les Pauls.
_Sorry Blue Cross, But My Boot in Your Ass is A Pre-Existing  Condition_
(http://silentngray.blogspot.com/2006/10/sorry-blue-cross-but-my-boot-in-your.html)
      9 Oct 2006 by Silent & Gray
That's Austin. You can't swing a dead cat without  hitting four semi-famous
guitar slingers who are all perfectly willing to  back each other up with
dollar store harmonicas if necessary. The brooms,  pots and pans aren't safe in
this town ...
_Silent & Gray -  http://silentngray.blogspot.com_
(http://silentngray.blogspot.com/)
_Online Telecommunications Americas - Find Articles_
(http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NUH/is_9_36/ai_97994566)      But Austin has a great music
scene.  There's parts of town where you can't swing a dead cat  without hitting
live music. We've had our share of hometown  ...
findarticles.com/p/articles/findarticles.com/p/articles/<WBR>mi_m0NUH/
_Tucson Weekly: Soundbites (January 8 - January 14,  1998)_
(http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tw/01-08-98/sbites.htm)      As everyone knows, you can't swing a
dead  cat in Austin without hitting a musician, so Silver Scooter's  wide
appeal--not to mention the fact that they were ...
www.tucsonweekly.com/tw/01-08-98/sbites.htm -  14k
_Road rules for Austin cyclists - Opinion_
(http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2007/03/30/Opinion/Road-Rules.For.Austin.Cyclists-2814445.shtml)
    Road rules for Austin cyclists. By Brian  Morrison. Print · Email. Page 1
of 1. You can't swing a dead cat in  this town without hitting a bicyclist.
www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2007/03/www.dailytexanonline.com/nAustin.Cyclist
s-2814445.shtml  -
_The Austin Chronicle: Music: TCB_
(http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/column?oid=oid:397727)      And of course, you couldn't swing a dead  cat
in Lawrence, Kan., last weekend without hitting an Austin  musician in town
for the third annual North vs. ...
www.austinchronicle.com/chronicle.com/<WBR>gyrobase/Issue/column?oid=oid:39
_The Lackloves welcome  you_ (http://www.lackloves.com/)      ... at least
one song featured in at  least one episode of The Real World Austin. ... can't
swing a dead cat without hitting a band at South By Southwest",  ...
www.lackloves.com/ -  19k
_Pharmacist Jobs in Austin? (San Antonio, Georgetown: wages  ..._
(http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/12776-pharmacist-jobs-austin.html)
1) You can't swing a dead cat in the communities  surrounding Austin w/o
seeing a new Walgreeens or CVS being built  EVERYWHERE. ...
_www.city-data.com/forum/austin//<WBR>12776-pharmacistaustin.html_
(http://www.city-data.com/forum/austin/12776-pharmacist-jobs-austin.html)
_I Blame The Patriarchy: Insane  Austin_
(http://www.twistyfaster.com/2005/02/insane-austin.html)
    Austin inhabitants appear to  readily accept the brutalization commerce
has ... Until  recently, you couldn't swing a dead cat out there without
hitting a ...
www.twistyfaster.com/2005/02/insane-austin.html  - 12k

Further west on Bee Caves Road lie some  of the prettiest rolling hills on
Earth. Until recently, you couldn't swing a dead cat out  there without hitting
a magnificent vista view or a patch of wild flowers  or a herd of white-tailed
deer. Then developers got hold of it. The hills  are now covered with
water-guzzling golf courses and a plague of fake  Tuscan villas starting at $500K.
Few man-made structures are as ugly.
_Maufrais - Roborant_
(http://roborant.info/main.do;jsessionid=CE9AFD1F022BA2318BABC1AD84B2CB55?entry=1350)      Also, we learn the real reason that you
can't  swing a dead cat in Austin without hitting a Maufrais stamp  is that "In
the early days of Austin sidewalks, ...
roborant.info/roborant.info/<WBR>main.do;jsessionid=CE9AFD1F022BA2318BABC1AD84
B2CB55?entry=
Also, we learn the real reason that you can't swing a dead cat in Austin
without hitting a  Maufrais stamp is that "In the early days of Austin sidewalks,
the city  required the concrete contractor to sign his product, a rule that
was recently  reinstated."
_OK, just one more bird post and I’m done at I Blame The  Patriarchy_
(http://blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/2007/05/18/ok-just-one-more-bird-post-and-im-done
/)
    Result: you can’t swing a dead cat in  hippie dippie environmentally
conscious Austin without thwacking  one of these purple martin hotels. Popularity:
62% ...
blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/2007/blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/2007/<WBR>05/18
/ok-just-one-more
(http://donklephant.com/2006/03/24/you-cant-get-drunk-in-texas/)
    Speaking as a Texan I can say for certain that  Austin is the citadel of
liberalism in Texas. You can swing a  dead cat in Austin without hitting a
Democrat.  ...
donklephant.com/2006/03/24/you-cant-get-drunk-in-texas/ -  60k - Jul 4, 2007
_It's the Incompetence, Stupid! by Caroline Spector - Democratic  ..._
(http://www.democraticunderground.com/articles/02/06/04_stupid.html)      Caroline
Spector is a writer living in  Austin, TX (where you can't swing a dead cat
without  hitting far too many other writers). ...
www.democraticunderground.com/www.democraticunderground.com/<WBR>articles
_Be thankful for what you didn't get - Opinion_
(http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2000/11/20/Opinion/Be.Thankful.For.What.You.Didnt.Get-701108.shtml)
   You can't swing a dead cat on this campus  with out hitting a white kid,
but you have to look fairly ...  Wal-Mart opponents file suit against city of
Austin  ...
www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2000/11/www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2000/11/<W
BR>20/Opinion/Be.Thankful.For.Wh
_bliu blog_
(http://cmliu.blogspot.com/2007/03/last-night-after-bleary-flight-of.html)      there are too many sketchy ATMs in downtown  austin. everywhere
you look, ... 'looking for an ATM?  swing a dead cat, and you'll most likely
hit one.'  ...
cmliu.blogspot.com/2007/03/cmliu.blogspot.com/2007/03/<WBR>last-night-after-bl
_energyresources : Messages : 100701-100730 of 102233_
(http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/energyresources/messages/100701?viscount=100)      In Austin,
TX? You may need to open your  eyes. This is Ausitn -- you can't swing a dead
cat around  here without hitting a Prius... Lane Wimberley ...
tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/<WBR>energyresources/m
essages/10

 (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NUH/is_9_36/ai_97994566)