slum

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 6 16:43:58 UTC 2007

Here it transparently means "a dollar."  But why?  I don't believe I've seen this sense before.

  1863 _Hooley's Opera House Songster_ (N.Y.: Dick & FitzGerald) 32: "So I‭'‭ll go and jump a bounty, / And have a little spree." / Joe went and put his name down,/  And got three hundred " slums," / And then skedaddled and ran away.

  JL

8:00? 8:25? 8:40?  Find a flick in no time