Hamberger steak (1889); Life of Reilly (1896?), Life of Riley (1911)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 7 02:48:46 UTC 2007

HAMBERGER STEAK
"Weiner schnitzel" is not the only food mis-spelling. The 1893 Reno Evening
Gazette advertised "Tom Fraker's world renowned hamberger sandwiches."
This "hamberger steak" citation (from GenealogyBank) is interesting.
"Hamberger steak" was popular in New York City (and new to North Dakota)? I'd  have
thought it was Athens, Texas. New York City--who knew?
15 August 1889, Bismarck (ND) Daily Tribune, pg. 1:
_Hamberger Steak._
George Gussner is making a specialty of Hamberger steak, and those who
appreciate this most palatable and nourishing dish should leave orders at the
Gussner market. Orders promptly filled and delivered. This is a new delicacy in
the Bismarck meat market, and all who have enjoyed the luxuries of the New York
 city markets will appreciate Mr. Gussner's enterprise.
LIFE OF REILLY; LIFE OF RILEY
What does the next HDAS have for "life of riley"?

_Library of the World's Best Literature,  Ancient and Modern - Page 16441_
(http://books.google.com/books?id=szwOAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA16441&dq="life+of+reilly"+dat
e:1800-1911&num=100&ie=ISO-8859-1)
by Charles Dudley Warner - 1896 - 18299  pages
I'll have the life of Reilly should I lose  ten thousand pounds." — " Good my
lord, I gave them him as tokens of  true love; And when we are ...

_BULLET ENDS LIFE OF FAMOUS WILD  COW_
(http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/courant/access/759443232.html?dids=759443232:759443232&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&date=Dec+06,+
1911&author=Special+to+The+Courant&pub=The+Hartford+Courant&desc=BULLET+ENDS+L
IFE+OF+FAMOUS+WILD+COW&pqatl=google)
Pay-Per-View -  Hartford Courant - ProQuest Archiver - Dec  6, 1911     After
"living The LIFE OF  Riley" for over a Year, successfully evading The
pitchforks and The bullets OF The Farmers, whose fields she  ravaged in all four ...