Customs House terms, colonial America

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jul 9 14:13:01 UTC 2007

I would appreciate confirmation of my deductions about the following
terms used in Customs House reports in 18th century colonial
(American) newspapers.  I infer these meanings because not
infrequently I find a ship listed in one issue with the first term
and in a later issue with the second term.

The Boston papers use these two terms.
      "Outward bound" -- having declared an intention to sail for a
stated destination.
      "Cleared out" -- having cleared customs, with a stated
destination, and permitted to sail.

The Charleston, S.C., papers use these two terms, which I assume have
the same two meanings:
      "Entered out".
      "Cleared for departure".

Thanks,