"shout-out" as reanalysis

Thu Jul 12 00:17:07 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> The case would be even more compelling, if Whitman could show instances of
>
> I want to send out a shout to my friends.
>
> Otherwise, it might be argued that "shout-out" is modelled on the
> example of such locutions as "put-out," "fake-out," "force-out,"
> "lock-out," "take-out," "stake-out," etc.

Not exactly sure what you mean, Wilson. What do you make of the early
Usenet cites that I rustled up?

Singular:
"Let me get a shout out to the MAINE posse." (4/13/91)
"Please send a shout out to them for me because I can't get that
newsgroup." (4/13/91)
"They are also giving a shout out to Kool Moe Dee, late of the
Terrible Three." (6/21/91)

Plural:
"Quik gives a few shouts out to those who helped him with the album." (9/30/91)
"Treach sends shouts out to the entire Flavor Unit as well as all the
members of D.U." (3/24/92)
"But what I want to know is why so many rappers give shouts out to the
Awesome 2 in the credits." (4/6/92)

Those examples seem to follow an entirely different patterning from
what you'd find with the other "X-out" forms you mention.

--Ben Zimmer