chard

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Jul 12 05:39:08 UTC 2007

From:    Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

> How does this analysis apply WRT such annoying cases of
> Frenchification as "British [raZ]" and "Bei[ZIN]"?

As far as *my* pronunciation of [raZ] (and [g at raZ]), my particular
variety simply won't allow me to ever end a word with a [dZ], do they
turn into [Z]. Interestingly, before i heard myself on tape, listening
with a trained ear, i had *no* idea i pronounced those with a word-final
[Z] rather than [dZ]--but it's widespread in the area where i grew up
(Southern Maryland).

As far as [beZIN], that's the way i first heard it pronounced
post-Peking, so that's what i've stuck with.

It may be more generalized than that, though, now that i think about
it--i've caught myself pronouncing the name of my wife as [Zini], for
example. Maybe [dZ] is simply disappearing in places, going through a
[dZ]->[Z] change, and these aren't hyperforeignizations at all?

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida