chard

Thu Jul 12 06:07:38 UTC 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 10:39 PM, David Bowie wrote:

> From:    Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>
>> How does this analysis apply WRT such annoying cases of
>> Frenchification as "British [raZ]" and "Bei[ZIN]"?
>
> As far as *my* pronunciation of [raZ] (and [g at raZ]), my particular
> variety simply won't allow me to ever end a word with a [dZ], [s]o
> they
> turn into [Z].

amazing.  so you can't say [b&J] or [rIJ] or [sl^J] or [kluJ], etc.
( where "[J]" = your "[dZ]", i.e. the affricate)?  i'm always
astounded to discover new varieties of english -- in this case, one
in which word-final [J] is always realized as [Z].  who knew?

arnold

[ok, ok, the point is not about english phonotactics, but about how
perceived "foreign" words are nativized.  mostly from the spelling,
in this case.]