ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 12 16:47:49 UTC 2007

At 11:26 AM -0500 7/12/07, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>Does anyone happen to know why the Q is chosen for the K sound in many
>Arabic to English transliterations? Was K the preferred letter in the past
>(some older texts seem to use K more)?
>
>Scot

As I understand it, the Q reflects a voiceless uvular stop,
phonemically distinct in Arabic from the velar K; in the old days,
the two were merged by transcription systems that didn't respect the
Arabic distinction.  If that's true, there should be other Ks in
modern transcription systems for the non-uvuvlar variety.  (Note that
even in the older systems with their "Koran"s and "Kaddafi"s, you
already had "Iraq".)

LH