ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 12 18:52:03 UTC 2007

Sorry all about the "K" I wrote in Al Kaeda, Al Kaida.  That should have
been Al Qaeda, Al Qaida.  Basically I was focusing on the ae/ai difference.
I had always seen it as "ai" before.  Now I see it "ae" in the newspapers.

For truespel I needed a phonetic spelling for the sound "eye" (long i).  I
picked ~ie (as in "pie,lie,tried).  This is in line with a rule that all
"long" vowels are spelled with silent e moved over next to them
(ae,ee,ie,oe,ue).

More predominant for spelling that sound is the leter "i" alone (primarily
due to the word "I".  Next is "i" with "silent e" and then "y", "igh", "ie"
and "eye" with a few others.

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.

>From: "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)
>Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:38:36 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
>Subject:      Re: ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
>Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>

> >  Note the problem with spelling Al Kaida, Al
> > Kaeda.  I wonder who orchestrated the switch to the spelling Al Kaeda?
> >
> > Tom Zurinskas,
>

>What switch?  Neither USA Today, LA Times, Wash Post, NY Times,
>Associated Press, CNN spell it that way -- all seem to use "Al Qaeda"
>Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE

Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!
http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1