ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 12 20:52:43 UTC 2007

Someone said either spelling ae/ai represent the diphthongal nature of the
vowel sound "eye".  That may be true in other dialects but m-w.com for
"pipe,time,hike" has one sound for the vowel "eye" not two as I hear it.
I'd like to hear a sound file where the "long i" vowel is diphthongal.

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.

>From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)
>Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:24:07 -0400

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>Subject:      Re: ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
>WAG: Is it the case that "ai" is intended to represent the
>Classical-Arabic sound, whereas "ae" is meant to reflect a more modern
>pronunciation? Or not.
>
>-Wilson, who knows of Arabic only that it is a Semitic language
>

>On 7/12/07, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:
>-----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)

> > Sorry all about the "K" I wrote in Al Kaeda, Al Kaida.  That should have
> > been Al Qaeda, Al Qaida.  Basically I was focusing on the ae/ai
>difference.
> > I had always seen it as "ai" before.  Now I see it "ae" in the
>newspapers.
> >
> > For truespel I needed a phonetic spelling for the sound "eye" (long i).
> > picked ~ie (as in "pie,lie,tried).  This is in line with a rule that all
> > "long" vowels are spelled with silent e moved over next to them
> > (ae,ee,ie,oe,ue).
> >
> > More predominant for spelling that sound is the leter "i" alone
>(primarily
> > due to the word "I".  Next is "i" with "silent e" and then "y", "igh",
>"ie"
> > and "eye" with a few others.
> >

> > Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
> > See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
> > authorhouse.com.
> >

> > >From: "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> > >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> > >Subject: Re: ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)
> > >Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:38:36 -0500
> > >
> > >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> > >-----------------------
> > >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > >Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> > >Subject:      Re: ginormous (UNCLASSIFIED)
> >
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> > >Caveats: NONE

>Kaeda?

> > >What switch?  Neither USA Today, LA Times, Wash Post, NY Times,
> > >Associated Press, CNN spell it that way -- all seem to use "Al Qaeda"
> > >Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> > >Caveats: NONE

> > >The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

> > Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!
> > http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1

>--
> [...]

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one
place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01