crapper 1910...and more

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jul 16 14:17:05 UTC 2007

Have we discussed the competing pronunciations of the noun "crappie" (the fish)?

The _OED_ gives only [kraepI], though it records the variant spelling "croppie."  _AHD New College Ed,_(1981) likewise gives only [kraepI]. In contrast, [krapI] is the only pronunciation recorded in _Webster's 9th New Collegiate_ 1983 (_Webster's New Collegiate_, 1956, gave BOTH pronunciations.).

--Charlie