words starting with "ex"

David Borowitz borowitz at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Jul 24 13:42:14 UTC 2007

Maybe this is part of what bringing in a trained phonetician entails, but it
seems to me that discussing things like "well, this sounds sort of like a
short 'i' but also kind of like a short 'e'" would be much more productive
and less speculative if there were some acoustic-phonetic analysis, like a
few formants traced in Praat. That still doesn't answer the question of
which sound files are useful to analyze, of course.

On 7/24/07, Laurence Urdang <urdang at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Laurence Urdang <urdang at SBCGLOBAL.NET>
> Subject:      Re: words starting with "ex"

> I really think that these issues ought to be taken up in detail with a
> trained phonetician who has experience in IPA and dictionary
> transcription.  There are conventions that are followed that might
> contradict the views of those who are not experts and who rely on
> impression.
>   L. Urdang
>
> Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Tom Zurinskas
> Subject: Re: words starting with "ex"

> Actually truespel book 2 puts the phonetic word first, enabling one to
> look
> up the spelling of a word from pronunciation (assuming the spoken word
> being
> looked up phonetically is spoken as in the talking dictionaries I used as
> reference). In the truespel beginners dictionary, book 3, the first part
> has the tradspel word first and the second part has the phonetic word
> first
> (both alphabetically) for looking up both ways. This is actually the VOA
> simplified dictionary with truespel added for a guide where no
> pronunciation
> guide exists (ixists?)
>
> Many dictionaries are from UK, and I think perhaps "ix" for "ex" is the
> norm
> there. In USA I doubt it, but have nothing to go by but my ears, which is
> all any of us have to go by. So do the majority of Americans say "ixcited"
> or "ixperience" or "ixample"? I truly think not.
>
> Better, if unstressed "ex" doesn't quite sound like a full "short e," to
> call it an allophone of "short e" instead of "short i" or an allophone of
> "short i". That would agree at least with the tradspel of it and I think
> the majority way it is actually said in USA.
>
> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
> See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
> authorhouse.com.
>

> >From: Laurence Urdang
> >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> >Subject: Re: words starting with "ex"
> >Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:07:34 -0700
> >
> >---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >-----------------------
> >Sender: American Dialect Society
> >Poster: Laurence Urdang
> >Subject: Re: words starting with "ex"

> >Zurinskas (in particular)
> > Would that it were true that people look up words in the dictionary to
> >find out how they are pronounced by most of the cultured speakers!
> > I think you'll find that most dictionaries show IPA [I] for the initial
> >sound in ex- words; but it is not a schwa.
> [...]

It is better to be quotable than to be honest.
    -Tom Stoppard

Borowitz