Putin

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Jun 6 15:05:39 UTC 2007

Was it "Pooty-Poot" or "Pooty-Poo" (no final t) or both?  I always thought it was just "Pooty-Poo," although I see both forms on Google.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Wed 6/6/2007 7:55 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Putin

Remember when the President of the United States said before the world, "I call  him 'Pooty-Poot'"?

  JL

Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray

FWIW, I prefer even that to "Pootn," if for no other reason that, for
a lot of AmE speakers, including your humble correspondent, pootin' is
the same as fartin', though, for other AmE speakers, it's tootin', and
not not pootin', that's the same as fartin'.

-Wilson

On 6/5/07, James Harbeck wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: James Harbeck
> Subject: Re: Putin
>
> FWIW, Canadian (anglophone) journalists can often be heard
> pronouncing the name "POO-teen." As distinct from, but rather clearly
> reminding of, poutine, which I think I've mentioned here before --
> fries with cheese curds and gravy. Homonymous in French with the dude
> in question. Provokes the odd lame wordplay.
>
> James Harbeck.

> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org <http://www.americandialect.org/>

-----
-Sam'l Clemens