FN + LN

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 7 01:55:38 UTC 2007

First name "Doctor" ?

  Good one, though, Charlie.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: FN + LN

I'm not sure about the old Rome or Anglo-Sacked Britain, but Renaissance England definitely WAS "a society in which the senses of 'distancing,' 'point of view,' and 'casting oneself as a dramatic protagonist' [were] highly developed." And Marlowe's Dr. Faustus, Early Modern Man epitomized (it could be argued), definitely DOES refer to himself regularly as "Faustus."

--Charlie