Another kind of buddy

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 12 15:54:12 UTC 2007

At 11:23 AM -0400 6/12/07, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:14:15AM -0500, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>>  I received a suggestive email this morning asking if I was looking for a
>>  "fuck buddy," which got me interested in that phrase. After searching Google
>>  Books I found a clear citation from 1988.
>
>OED published this in 2004; our earliest quotation is from
>1973. It's got the metalanguage note "esp. among male
>homosexuals",

there's also the more orientation-neutral (or heterosexually biased?)
"friend(s) with benefits" that's been getting a lot of...play lately.

Also no romantic relationship, but (given the difference between
"buddy" and "friend") perhaps more of a grounding in friendship per
se.  The FWB, that is, is basically a friend whom one occasionally
fucks, the FB I imagine is primarily an occasional sex partner who
may also be a friend.  I could be wrong about that, of course.

LH