Another kind of buddy

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 12 16:45:27 UTC 2007

>When I was a beginning truck driver, I was told not to be saying that
>someone was my buddy.

This reminds of something that has been stuck in my melon for a while. I've
noticed that quite a few males that I know in their mid to late 20's and up
seem to refer to their other male friends as "buddies," not "friends." I've
resisted this "buddy" designation and continue to call my friends "friends,"
but I find it curious that "buddy" has been chosen by these people. This is
in middle Wisconsin; do others hear this elsewhere?

Scot LaFaive

>From: Darla Wells <dlw3208 at LOUISIANA.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: Another kind of buddy
>Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:43:07 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Darla Wells <dlw3208 at LOUISIANA.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Another kind of buddy
>
>When I was a beginning truck driver, I was told not to be saying that
>someone
>was my buddy. When I asked why, I was told that the definition of buddy is
>"someone who will go get a blow job and bring you back one." I have no idea
>where he got that one, but I heard it a few times. This was in Southern
>California in the 80's. I wonder if that comes from a similar place as
>"fuck
>buddy."
>Darla
>
>With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince. With science, you can turn a
>frog into a Ph.D and you still have the frog you started with. (Terry
>Pratchett)

Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more!
http://mobile.msn.com