For words ending in "-ity" is it ~t or ~d

Wed Jun 13 06:20:03 UTC 2007

Yes, we American English speakers do use tongue flaps, Tom.  A [d]
would have longer duration, for one--there's no way you can make a
consonant of such short duration without a ballistic movement of the
tongue--and that is a tap/flap.  I correct my students on this all
the time.

Paul Johnston