Names With Zing

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Wed Jun 13 14:15:03 UTC 2007

Reminds me of the story of why a family friend always went by the name
'Chris'.  She was in a college class and the prof called out her
name--Crystal Smith*--while calling out the roll.  She responded with a
'here', but he didn't hear her, and, thinking she was absent, went on to
share his opinion that that was a prostitute's name.  This was in the
1960s. One hopes that such things aren't said in classrooms these
days...but I wouldn't bet on it.

*Not her real last name!

Back on the topic of silent 't' in 'often'--I always said it (western NY
state), and wasn't told I was wrong until I got to college (Massachusetts).
I hear it regularly in the UK.

Lynne

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer and Head of Department
Linguistics and English Language
Arts B135
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN

phone: +44-(0)1273-678844
http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com

--On Tuesday, June 12, 2007 11:52 pm -0400 Doug Harris