Names With Zing

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 13 20:10:23 UTC 2007

Attila the Hun, I presume, though I can't guess what he did next. Do I
really want to? FWIW, when I was a kid, his name was "ATT-ila," from
which its modern Gerrnan descendant, Etzel, is easily derived.

Deathers O'Flanagan and Dingwall Fleary are a couple of names of real people.

Until I got to high school, I had no idea of the full range of
surnames available to white people. Some quite ordinary names, such as
"Faherty," "Hoogstraet," "Yoch," "Zupez," and "Koziatek" (especially
when combined with his first name of "Kazimir") initially struck me as
so absolutely ridiculous when roll was called for the first time in
homeroom that I nearly had a heart attack from the effort involved in
surpressing my laughter. "Higginsbotham" was the strangest surname
that I had previously encountered. And this was just one guy. In high
school, I had to deal with hundreds of, to me, weirdo surnames at
once. The white people living in the hood had names like "Adams,"
"Jones" (both of which are also quite common among blacks, of course)
"Rohay," and "Rosen" and I was only six years old when I first heard
them, long before I'd drawn any conclusion as to what constituted an
"ordinary" surname.

-Wilson

On 6/13/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Names With Zing
>
> About twenty years ago, the _Weekly World News_ reported on a horrible experience. An elderly lady joined a seance to attempt to contact her sister, Matilda the nun, who had recently passed over.
>
>   Owing to a faulty psychic connection, guess who showed up and wha he did next?
>
>   JL
>
> Darla Wells <dlw3208 at LOUISIANA.EDU> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens