Another kind of buddy

Landau, James James.Landau at NGC.COM
Wed Jun 13 12:35:59 UTC 2007

In Basic Training in 1969, at Fort Knox, Kentucky, I heard the following
definition of "buddy system":  "your buddy gets a pass, goes to town,
gets two blow jobs, and gives you one."  So it's earlier than the 80's
and not restricted to California.

When CB radio became the fad around 1974, a stereotyped usage (e.g. C.
W. McCall's "Convoy" record) was to call someone (generally a male
someone) "good buddy".  By about 1980 a CB-er told me "good buddy" was
not to be used because it now meant a gay boyfriend.

As for "fuck buddy" being a gay male usage, that makes sense.  The word
"buddy" is usually (though not always) applied to a man's male friend or
helper, e.g. the "buddy system" in swimming.  (However, one can imagine
a girl's swimming class using the buddy system.)

Therefore for a woman to refer to a male lover as a "fuck buddy" is odd,
since women do not generally refer to male friends as "buddies".
Equally odd for a man (or for that matter a woman) to refer to a female
lover as a "fuck buddy".  Hence the presence of the word "buddy" implies
a male-to-male relationship, with the f-word specifying it is a sexual
relationship.

OT: is anyone familiar with the term "best bud"?

    - Jim Landau